Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kusksu




Since broad beans are in season I thought of posting the recipe of this lovely and easy soup. This Maltese dish is sometimes confused with the North African couscous since the pasta resembles the very coarse couscous.


Ingredients (for 2 persons)



1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp tomato puree
300g fresh broad beans
50g kusksu pasta (available from all supermarkets)
700 ml of water
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil


(Optional)
1 egg
some ricotta
2 gbejniet (Maltese cheeselets)

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil, add the tomato paste and fry a few minutes longer, then add the broad beans. These should be podded and if preferred the individual skins of the beans could also be removed. Once the onions achieve that golden colour add the water to cover and cook gently for about half an hour until the onion is cooked and the beans not quite tender. Add the kusksu and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Stir frequently as kusksku pasta tends to stick to the pan. Cover and turn off the heat and leaver for about 10 minuts. To make a complete meal out of this soup add an egg, fresh gbejniet (Maltese cheeselets) and even some rikotta.
Kusksu can be made with frozen beans but the final result won't be as good as the one made from fresh veggies.

7 comments:

Angela said...

This recipe sounds so good! One day I might have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Looks good Zen

AV

Dina said...

I love kosksu......mmmmmm......have to buy 'ful' today and make it :)

p.s. how's your pregnancy and you?

Sue said...

I remember my mum preparing this dish... we, my sister and I, used to love helping out removing the skins from the broad beans. I never made it myself , my kids don't like those beans unfortunately. Thanks for sharing!
Sue.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Sounds like something I would love to try out :D Thanks for the recipe.

Jientje said...

Looks delicious!!

Doreen said...

Mmm reading your recipe makes my mouth water but my family are not crazy about it...like Sue I have nice memories of when we used to help our Mum prepare the beans...as a matter of fact this week Mum told me she made it for herself : ) Thanks Zen for sharing the recipe.